Amanda-Users

Re: Debugging lufs vtape and amanda flushing-throtle for amanda

2005-05-22 17:52:06
Subject: Re: Debugging lufs vtape and amanda flushing-throtle for amanda
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 17:25:31 -0400
On Sun, May 22, 2005 at 04:27:25PM +0200, Vlad Popa wrote:
> Hi !
>
> As you all veterans of the list know I am using the vtape file-to-disk
> tape driver and a ftp share mounted as file system by lufs. I am using
> the chg-disk virtual changer.

Good to mention in new threads as my little gray cells don't retain much.

> tapesize is enough, even so  is the holding disk. The backup gets
> completely  dumped to the holding disk but some parts of the DLE are
> omitted because of timeouts  and a temporary very sluggish ftp access.
> (I'll include the  amreport below .)
>
> My question is:
> Are there any possibilities to advise amanda to retry flushing (to the
> same tape ..) (as when I start  flushing by hand next day I get the

Same tape, partially successful, absolutely not.
Same tape where nothing got on to it, manipulate the tapelist
manually, or maybe with amadmin.

> report it succeeds more than most of the time) ?  I have doubled  the
> timeout parameter given in the example amanda.conf without a consequence
> . I  do assume, that my ftp connection  transfer rate at 1st is fast and
> the ETA amanda gets is wrong because the transfer rate drops during the
> data flush ( might be a ftp characteristic "start with maximum
> availlable and throttle down to a reasonable rate"). Amanda times out (@
> Jon, you were right !)
>
> Does a speed parameter  set in amanda.conf  (to 50 Kbytes ) have affect
> on the data transfer rate when using tape-type Hard-disk or will it be
> ignored ?  My last  manual amflush transfer  report  showed  me   " ...
> Avg Tp Write Rate ( k/s) 67.8 121.0 66.4  ..." (prev. and last  lines
> omitted)  and was successfull.

To the best of my knowledge, the timeouts and network usage only deal
with dumping, not taping/flushing.  The tape speed in the tapetype
stanza is information the admin might have gotten from amtapetype,
but is not used by amanda.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)