Amanda-Users

Re: Debugging lufs vtape and amanda flushing-throtle for amanda

2005-05-24 19:02:48
Subject: Re: Debugging lufs vtape and amanda flushing-throtle for amanda
From: Vlad Popa <vlad.popa AT sbg.ac DOT at>
To: Eric Dantan Rzewnicki <rzewnickie AT rfa DOT org>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 00:49:18 +0200
Eric Dantan Rzewnicki schrieb:

On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 11:53:57PM +0200, Vlad Popa wrote:
Hello Jon !
Jon LaBadie schrieb:
On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 12:05:21PM +0200, Vlad Popa wrote:
Dear Paul,
Paul Bijnens schrieb:
Vlad Popa wrote:
So how can I say "Not so fast, Mrs. Amanda !" when taping ?
Are you 100% sure that is the problem??
I'll ask Paul's question slightly differently.
How can you WANT to run any slower (see below).
DUMP SUMMARY:
HOSTNAME     DISK        L ORIG-kB OUT-kB COMP% MMM:SS  KB/s MMM:SS  KB/s
-------------------------- --------------------------------- ------------
h50234       /etc        0    2440   2440   --    0:03 930.1   9:26   4.3
This was your biggest, and speediest successful taping.
It only ran at 4300 bytes/sec
            1/4 megabyte per minute
               15  megabytes per HOUR
If you will pay me, I'll hand write the data.  It might be faster :))
Jon, I'd pay you the money , If I had one (since I 'd be sure the data written by you is hand-signed, certificated and prooved to be on my vtape..)
Something is seriously wrong with your network connection to your vtape.
I strongly urge you to fix your network connection rather than continue
to try to get amanda (or any application) to work with a broken network.
You are absolutely right Jon, but I cannot tweak more the lufs. I'm afraid, I have to discard this meant-to-be solution. I get to the conclusion, that lufs project is not (yet) mature enough to work in a amanda scenario when using the ftp feature in my case. (I cannot say something about the other parts..) I'd rather have a native ftp-client-based (some kind of a vftape extension..) amanda solution (I do apologise, I'm not a coder ..) than this lufs for my situation working now. The only performance improovement I could test was being logged in several times on the server (using more lufs channels) but the result was the same. I have tested native ftp transfers to this host (beside lufs) which were at about 4.3 mb per sec ("ftp hostname" and then "put file ..") for several files differring significantly in their size. The rate did not fall below 4 megs per sec.
I like amanda's features because it is really flexible and powerful.
Do you see any solutions working for my situation without abandoning using amanda? What about "vtape"-ing locally and transfering the directory by Mr. Cron to the ftp server ? (for this I needed a automatic script-based ftpclient for upload as wget is for download )
I have found wput

http://itooktheredpill.dyndns.org/

I'll give  it a test ..

Vlad