Amanda-Users

Re: Request for enhancement - Auto dle

2005-05-13 17:42:19
Subject: Re: Request for enhancement - Auto dle
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 16:28:13 -0500
--On Friday, May 13, 2005 14:54:33 -0600 Michael Loftis <mloftis AT wgops DOT
com> wrote:

> --On May 13, 2005 3:21:29 PM -0500 Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
> wrote:
>
>>    I just have a DLE for the top level, and that directory contains an
>> exclude file containing the subdirs that I back up as separate DLEs.
>> That way I won't miss any new subdirs that are created.  This won't work
>> as well for very dynamic environments or where you don't have much
>> control on the client machines.
>
> Remember that excludes are controlled/controllable server side.  I use a file
> on the clients though myself....and...honestly i just had a thought about how
> well/if they work with GNUTAR or not?  I'd assume so.

Yes, excludes are controlled by the server, but I just have in my dumptype
exclude list optional "amanda.exclude"
so amanda just looks for it in the top level of the DLE.  It works fine with
tar.
   My method does have its limitations: someone with permissions on the
DLE directory could modify/delete the exclude list, and it means the
excludes aren't all in one place on the server, but it works well in my
environment.
  I can see how it wouldn't be the right choice for everybody, though.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673