Amanda-Users

"options" keyword in example dumptype definitions?

2005-03-06 10:20:29
Subject: "options" keyword in example dumptype definitions?
From: Bruce.Skinner AT drdc-rddc.gc DOT ca (Bruce S. Skinner)
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: 06 Mar 2005 14:09:42 +0000
I'm running amanda 2.4.4.p-2.2 on ubuntu linux, a debian based system
with a version 2.6.8.1 kernel.  The example amanda.conf provided with
my distribution uses a keyword "options" in the defined dumptypes.

    # dumptypes
    #
    # These are referred to by the disklist file.  The dumptype specifies
    # certain "options" for dumping including:
    #       index           - keep an index of the files backed up
    #       compress-fast   - (default) compress on the client using fast
algorithm
    #       compress-best   - compress using the best (and slowww) algorithm

The comment snippet above is extracted from my example amanda.conf and
implies that there are more arguments to "options" than are documented
here.

There is no mention of this keyword in the "DUMPTYPE SECTION" of man
amanda(8) and the arguments to "options" appear to be redundant.  For
example it appears to me that the following defines are identical:

    define dumptype comp-user-tar {
        program "GNUTAR"
        comment "partitions dumped with tar"
        options compress-fast, index, exclude-list "/etc/amanda/exclude.gtar"
        priority medium
    }

    define dumptype my-comp-user-tar {
        program "GNUTAR"
        comment "partitions dumped with tar"
        compress client fast
        index yes
        exclude list "/etc/amanda/exclude.gtar"
        priority medium
    }

Are they identical?

If so, why would I use one form over the other and where is the
"options" form fully documented?

If not, can someone please explain the difference?

regards :-)
BruceS

--

Bruce S. Skinner