Amanda-Users

Re: "options" keyword in example dumptype definitions?

2005-03-06 17:29:25
Subject: Re: "options" keyword in example dumptype definitions?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2005 17:14:50 -0500
On Sunday 06 March 2005 12:47, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
>Hi, Gene,
>
>on Sonntag, 06. März 2005 at 17:25 you wrote to amanda-users:
>
>GH> On Sunday 06 March 2005 09:09, Bruce S. Skinner wrote:
>>>I'm running amanda 2.4.4.p-2.2 on ubuntu linux, a debian based
>>> system with a version 2.6.8.1 kernel.  The example amanda.conf
>>> provided with my distribution uses a keyword "options" in the
>>> defined dumptypes.
>>>
>>>Are they identical?
>
>This syntax with "options" is OLD syntax, I'd have to dig through
> the Changelog to tell you how old.
>
>>>If so, why would I use one form over the other and where is the
>>>"options" form fully documented?
>
>As Jon already noticed, "options" is no keyword in the current
>AMANDA-release. Do your AMANDA-binaries complain?
>
>Please use this syntax:
>
>define dumptype my-comp-user-tar {
>  program "GNUTAR"
>  comment "partitions dumped with tar"
>  compress client fast
>  index yes
>  exclude list "/etc/amanda/exclude.gtar"
>  priority medium
>}
>
>GH> I agree, it could use better docs, something I think Stephan W.
> is GH> working on from time to time, and which I'll plead guilty to
> not GH> haveing paid sufficient attention to his efforts.
>
>Thanks, Gene ...

Well, at least I knew you were working on them.  Seemed only right to
mention it. :-)

>I think that the current manpage (for example here:
>http://www.amanda.org/docs/amanda.8.html, same content as in
> 2.4.4p4, minor corrections) reflects the current way of defining
> dumptypes (See DUMPTYPE SECTION). No need to document an option
> that isn't there anymore IMO.

Duh, of course not.  Somehow, way back up the now yellowed and
tattered log, maybe 2.4.0ish somewhere I recall there was such a
beast, but if it was redundant, well...  Apparently its been gone for
years because I never made use of that syntax in my original setup,
probably around the 1998-9 timeframe.  Alzheimers maybe?  Darned if I
know.

Is that a seperate, updated file compared to the manpages included
with 2.4.5b1-20050214?

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: