Amanda-Users

Re: "options" keyword in example dumptype definitions?

2005-03-06 12:57:01
Subject: Re: "options" keyword in example dumptype definitions?
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <monitor AT oops.co DOT at>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 18:47:34 +0100
Hi, Gene,

on Sonntag, 06. März 2005 at 17:25 you wrote to amanda-users:

GH> On Sunday 06 March 2005 09:09, Bruce S. Skinner wrote:
>>I'm running amanda 2.4.4.p-2.2 on ubuntu linux, a debian based
>> system with a version 2.6.8.1 kernel.  The example amanda.conf
>> provided with my distribution uses a keyword "options" in the
>> defined dumptypes.

>>Are they identical?

This syntax with "options" is OLD syntax, I'd have to dig through the
Changelog to tell you how old.

>>If so, why would I use one form over the other and where is the
>>"options" form fully documented?

As Jon already noticed, "options" is no keyword in the current
AMANDA-release. Do your AMANDA-binaries complain?

Please use this syntax:

define dumptype my-comp-user-tar {
  program "GNUTAR"
  comment "partitions dumped with tar"
  compress client fast
  index yes
  exclude list "/etc/amanda/exclude.gtar"
  priority medium
}

GH> I agree, it could use better docs, something I think Stephan W. is
GH> working on from time to time, and which I'll plead guilty to not
GH> haveing paid sufficient attention to his efforts.

Thanks, Gene ...

I think that the current manpage (for example here:
http://www.amanda.org/docs/amanda.8.html, same content as in 2.4.4p4,
minor corrections) reflects the current way of defining dumptypes (See
DUMPTYPE SECTION). No need to document an option that isn't there
anymore IMO.
--
best regards,
Stefan