Amanda-Users

Re: "options" keyword in example dumptype definitions?

2005-03-06 10:58:04
Subject: Re: "options" keyword in example dumptype definitions?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 10:50:10 -0500
On Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 02:09:42PM +0000, Bruce S. Skinner wrote:
> I'm running amanda 2.4.4.p-2.2 on ubuntu linux, a debian based system
> with a version 2.6.8.1 kernel.  The example amanda.conf provided with
> my distribution uses a keyword "options" in the defined dumptypes.
>
>     # dumptypes
>     #
>     # These are referred to by the disklist file.  The dumptype specifies
>     # certain "options" for dumping including:
>     #       index           - keep an index of the files backed up
>     #       compress-fast   - (default) compress on the client using fast
> algorithm
>     #       compress-best   - compress using the best (and slowww) algorithm
>
> The comment snippet above is extracted from my example amanda.conf and
> implies that there are more arguments to "options" than are documented
> here.
>
> There is no mention of this keyword in the "DUMPTYPE SECTION" of man
> amanda(8) and the arguments to "options" appear to be redundant.  For
> example it appears to me that the following defines are identical:
>
>     define dumptype comp-user-tar {
>         program "GNUTAR"
>         comment "partitions dumped with tar"
>         options compress-fast, index, exclude-list "/etc/amanda/exclude.gtar"
>         priority medium
>     }
>
>     define dumptype my-comp-user-tar {
>         program "GNUTAR"
>         comment "partitions dumped with tar"
>         compress client fast
>         index yes
>         exclude list "/etc/amanda/exclude.gtar"
>         priority medium
>     }
>
> Are they identical?
>
> If so, why would I use one form over the other and where is the
> "options" form fully documented?
>
> If not, can someone please explain the difference?

Someone will correct me if I'm in error,

the difference is one is legal, the other isn't.

Options is not a keyword.

To confirm this for yourself, create a dumptype as above
and run amcheck on the configuration.  I just did and got:

  $ amcheck DS1
  "/usr/local/etc/amanda/CommonConfFiles/DumpTypes", line 158: dump type
parameter expected
  "/usr/local/etc/amanda/CommonConfFiles/DumpTypes", line 158: dump type
parameter expected
  amcheck: errors processing config file "/usr/local/etc/amanda/DS1/amanda.conf"

Now to go back and restore my DumpTypes file.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)