Amanda-Users

Re: finding which Amanda run will run tonight

2005-03-02 12:07:07
Subject: Re: finding which Amanda run will run tonight
From: ddaasd <ddaasd AT gmail DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 17:29:19 +0100

Gerhard den Hollander schrieb:

* ddaasd <ddaasd AT gmail DOT com> (Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 04:05:11PM +0100)
I configured Amanda on Tuesday to adapt itself to my new environment.
Tuesday night was its first run.
I don't want to have the cycle from Tuesday to Tuesday. In addition I run amdump only on weekdays.
I want Monday to change the tapes and also Monday to be the first run.

How can I make my first backup (on Tuesday night) to look like my second one? I want the Tuesday Tape to become the Monday tape for Amanda.
Can I modify the date of an already written tape?

I am not sure you understand how amanda works.

Amanda makes sure that if runs per cycle is set to 5, then it will backup
everything in 5 days.

I have dumpcycle=7,runspercycle=5 (I backup only weekdays) and tapecycle=15;
I've inserted 5 tapes (for one week) in my dell PowerVault. It changes the tapes automatically every day, so amanda has every day a new tape. Every Monday I have to change the 5 tapes with the next 5 tapes. In this way I have backups for 3 weeks. I wanted to start the process on Monday (the first backup, changing the tapes etc), but I started it on Tuesday. Now my backup-week is from Tuesday till Tuesday. I didn't want that so I wanted to make 2 dumps in a day to catch Amanda.

But I think Tuesday is also o good day for changing tapes :)

What do you think?

You don;t have to worry about hvaing sp[ecific tapes for specific days.
You can always get your data back .

Just labal your tapes
amanda0001, amanda0002, ... amanda0099 (and instead of amanda I suggest you use the configuration name)

Furthermore you write:
| I want Monday to change the tapes and also Monday to be the first run.
You need to use a new tape for every day amanda runs, so you have to change
the tapes every day