Amanda-Users

Re: finding which Amanda run will run tonight

2005-03-02 12:10:24
Subject: Re: finding which Amanda run will run tonight
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 11:58:59 -0500
On Wednesday 02 March 2005 11:25, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
>On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Wednesday 02 March 2005 10:05, ddaasd wrote:
>> >I configured Amanda on Tuesday to adapt itself to my new
>> > environment. Tuesday night was its first run.
>> >I don't want to have the cycle from Tuesday to Tuesday. In
>> > addition I run amdump only on weekdays.
>> >I want Monday to change the tapes and also Monday to be the first
>> > run.
>> >
>> >How can I make my first backup (on Tuesday night) to look like my
>> > second one? I want the Tuesday Tape to become the Monday tape
>> > for Amanda. Can I modify the date of an already written tape?
>>
>> I don't believe the tape can be modified in that manner.
>>
>> Humm, or maybe it can, useing dd to extract the label block, vim
>> to edit the date, and dd to put the label block back, just make
>> sure that you do not inadvertantly change the length of the label
>> block in so doing else the whole tape will wave at you as the data
>> is on the way out the window.  Forever.  The tape will be reusable
>> of course.
>
>Won't the drive put an end-of-tape block after your dd'ed back label
> block, so you can never recover what's on the tape behind that
> block? IIRC, at least DDS drives do that.
>
>Gr{oetje,eeting}s,
>
>      Geert

It hasn't ever done that to me, Geert, while using the DDS2 drives I
was using.  But then, that is a majority of one..  Who knows what the
next drive might do.  OTOH, it wouldn't hurt of someone was to fiddle
with that scenario, useing the tape that will be overwritten tonight
so its loss is a <shrug> if it doesn't work.

I'd for obvious reasons, use the rewinding version of the device to do
that, else the drive might sit there with it in the buffer, waiting
in vain for enough data that it has to flush the buffer.  If its read
out using the rewinding device, then it will be properly positioned
for the subsequent write, and if the rewinding device is used, then
the edited header will be flushed to the media before the rewind
takes place.

Interesting experiment even.

Or is that ending a sentence with a preposition, up with which one
should not put?  :-)

>--
>Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 --
> geert AT linux-m68k DOT org
>
>In personal conversations with technical people, I call myself a
> hacker. But when I'm talking to journalists I just say "programmer"
> or something like that. -- Linus Torvalds

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: