Amanda-Users

Re: finding which Amanda run will run tonight

2005-03-02 11:35:00
Subject: Re: finding which Amanda run will run tonight
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert AT linux-m68k DOT org>
To: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 17:25:18 +0100 (CET)
On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 March 2005 10:05, ddaasd wrote:
> >I configured Amanda on Tuesday to adapt itself to my new
> > environment. Tuesday night was its first run.
> >I don't want to have the cycle from Tuesday to Tuesday. In addition
> > I run amdump only on weekdays.
> >I want Monday to change the tapes and also Monday to be the first
> > run.
> >
> >How can I make my first backup (on Tuesday night) to look like my
> > second one? I want the Tuesday Tape to become the Monday tape for
> > Amanda. Can I modify the date of an already written tape?
>
> I don't believe the tape can be modified in that manner.
>
> Humm, or maybe it can, useing dd to extract the label block, vim to
> edit the date, and dd to put the label block back, just make sure
> that you do not inadvertantly change the length of the label block in
> so doing else the whole tape will wave at you as the data is on the
> way out the window.  Forever.  The tape will be reusable of course.

Won't the drive put an end-of-tape block after your dd'ed back label block, so
you can never recover what's on the tape behind that block?
IIRC, at least DDS drives do that.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                                                Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- geert AT linux-m68k
DOT org

                                                            -- Linus Torvalds