Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda Backup

2005-03-02 11:58:35
Subject: Re: Amanda Backup
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 11:48:42 -0500
On Wednesday 02 March 2005 11:03, Jon LaBadie wrote:
>On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 10:58:08AM +0100, Paul Bijnens wrote:
>> Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
>> >Can I prirotise the backup in Amanda, I mean first HOST A, Then
>> > HOST B and next on words or can I specify in the disklist file
>>
>> Not completely, but you have some control.

>> If you want time-based priority, you can add the "starttime"
>> directive to some dumptypes. The starttime indicates that backups
>> will not start until after this time of the day.  YOu can defined
>> two dumptypes, one without starttime (i.e. backups will start as
>> soon as amdump starts), and one with a delayed starttime (then
>> hopefully all the others have already started). If you run amdump
>> at e.g. 00:05 past midnight, you can define these two dumptypes:
>>
>> define dumptype normal {
>>     global
>> }
>> define dumptype delayed {
>>     normal
>>     starttime 200 # start at 2:00 am
>> }
>
>I've not played with 'starttime' but reading your note got me
> thinking that having absolute times as arguments could be an
> administrative pain if the amdump was run at varying times.
>
>Is there any way of specifying a relative value?  Say "starttime
> +30" so it would begin no less than 30 min after the first dump
> starts. I guess it couldn't be after amdump starts because the
> estimate and planning stage varies in length.
>

>OK Jon, follow your own, oft given, advice, RTFM  ....
>
>Well there certainly is nothing in the man page describing relative
>values, so I suspect I answered my own query.  Perhaps it would be
>a good "Wish List" item.

Agreed Jon. I think the variable amount of time that it took amanda to
get done with the main run was the reason I kept at it, exploring
other scripting ways to achieve what I wanted to do.  Which I think
I've done although the scripts look pretty ragged cause I rarely
delete something, just comment it out. :(

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: