Amanda-Users

Amanda long term archiving issue

2005-03-02 11:55:22
Subject: Amanda long term archiving issue
From: Iulian Topliceanu <iulian.topliceanu AT net-m DOT de>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 17:32:01 +0100
Hi,

I have to do following:

Backup more volumes on a single tape until the tape is full (to avoid the waste tapes)

The amount of data might be only 300 MB at the beginning but will increase each day. It might take 20 days or 100 days until it reaches the tape limit and I need the whole information from the beginning, so maybe even 100 days until I reach the end of the tape.

*I know that AMANDA's writing from the beginning of the tape each time so that could leave me not many choises.*

This is how I thought: a vtapes backup configuration mixed with a tape backup configuration (so in case of a HDD disaster to avoid the total loss of information)

- not knowing the time needed to fillup a tape with data, I set a dumcycle of 100 days (I guess if the dumcycle is set to 100 days, I'll have a complete history from day 1 to day 100, correct me if I'm wrong)

- I backup the information every night on vtapes and backup the content of the vtapes once a week on a tape (that can be rewriten as much as it needs if I still get to write on the tape the entire information from day 0 to day to current day) and notice by the amount of written data (sent via the dump reports) when the amount of backuped data reaches the limit of the tape.

- after the tape is full it will be stored in some seif, another tape will replace it and the process will be restarted from scratch.

The End!

Questions:

- is this right: if I set a 100 days dumcycle I'll have all the information from day 1 to day 100?

- should I use strategy-nofull? Will this help me in my 'quest'?

- does AMANDA have the option to inform me how much space is left on the tape? (I know this is ilogic since AMANDA is writing always from the beginning of the tape, but I was told to ask:)

If the things written above are wrong could you please give me another solution for backing up an amount from ~300 MB to 40 GB (the capacity of the tape) in n days (til the tape is full) having all the information from day 1 to day n (when the tape is full) without losing data that might have been erased in between.

So how should I set up my configuration regarding the vtapes? I guess there no problem in backing up the content of the vtapes to a tape?

Thanks and sorry if my mail is kind of confusing,
Iulian Topliceanu