Amanda-Users

Re: AMLABEL

2005-02-21 10:14:56
Subject: Re: AMLABEL
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 15:32:56 +0100
Jon LaBadie wrote:
On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 10:04:40AM +0100, Paul Bijnens wrote:

Late reply, as this mail (and some other apparently) got stuck
in the mailserver...

And check the file st.init, where the letters get their meaning.

Paul, I'm unfamiliar with the file st.init.
Nor do I find one on my system.
Did you mean the st.conf file in /kernel/drv?

Yes, that's what I mean.  (I mixed up Linux /etc/stinit.def and
Solaris /kernel/drv/st.conf apparently.)

If the st.conf file, I don't find an entries for any lto's I
recognize.  One poster said it was "builtin" to the driver,
another said they had to edit the file and add an entry.

Yes, some are built-in into the driver. Non-builtin can be
defined in this file.  At least, that's what I did to get
my Sony AIT-1 tape drive working on Solaris without compresssion.

The drive docs would probably still be needed to interpret
the entry.

You need some numbers to fill in, and I got those from a webpage
by the manufacturer of my drive (Sony).
Without the numbers, the drive did work, but it would always
have hardware compression on (or always off, if I switched the
dip-switch in the drive).  With the correct numbers, I can control
the hw-compression by using the appropriate letter /dev/rmt/0c.