Amanda-Users

Re: AMLABEL

2005-02-08 04:20:06
Subject: Re: AMLABEL
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 10:04:40 +0100
Jon LaBadie wrote:

With the ultrium it is less important about considering HW or SW
compression.  But be aware that on Solaris whether HW compression
is turned on or not is determined by the device you choose.  You
will find lots of /dev/rmt/0"xyz" devices.  The "xyz" determines
the properties of the device the driver will set upon opening it.

Don't be fooled into assumptions about the various devices.  The
"c" device is listed as "compressed".  But that is the conventional
use.  There is no certainty that it turns compression on for every
device, or that devices without the "c" are no compression.  You
will even have a "c" device for drives that are not capable of
HW compression ;-)  Only way to tell is check the docs for the
drive and settings for the driver.  And then I'd check it if I
could.

Indeed.

And check the file st.init, where the letters get their meaning.