Amanda-Users

Re: AMLABEL

2005-02-21 11:27:14
Subject: Re: AMLABEL
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 11:14:12 -0500
On Monday 21 February 2005 10:01, Paul Bijnens wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Silly Q?  Could this be the reason I've blamed amanda for not
>> being able to rewind the tape in a Seagate 4586N changer?  And
>> while amanda couldn't rewind it, mt could?
>
>I don't think so.  The file contains parameters to set blocksize
>and hw-compression if different modes.  But rewind is (AFAIK) a
> generic scsi-tape command.  Anyway, amanda does not read that file;
> adding it would not a difference for amanda.

No, amanda does, but presumably stinit does.  OTOH, I don't believe
I've ever run stinit either, although I have looked at the manpage
for it, without finding the answer to any of my 'itches' :)

>"man stinit" gives some idea what can be configured in the file.
>
>> Humm, on inspecting that file, I find its quite jurassic, offering
>> no clues for anything newer than whats obviously decade+ old DDS1
>> drives.  And no mention of rewind capabilities for any drive IIRC.
>> So I doubt its connected with my non-rewinding chg-scsi script
>> useage.

I should correct that, it treats DDS1's with data compression, and
DDS2-3-4's the same, or does in my version of the file.  In any
event, it wasn't any help to me at the time.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: