Amanda-Users

Re: star instead of gnutar

2005-01-17 11:24:05
Subject: Re: star instead of gnutar
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Claus.Rosenberger AT rocnet DOT de
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 11:16:36 -0500
On Monday 17 January 2005 09:38, Claus Rosenberger wrote:
>hi,
>
>i need to use star instead of gnutar because i want to backup my
> acl's too. how could i manage this?
>
>regards
>
>claus

I cannot help in that endeavor, never having used star, but I note
that the new version 1.15-1 I built last night claims to be able to
function with star archives.

Probably the only way to find out is to give the ./configure an
argument "--with-gnutar=/path/to/star \", rebuild and reinstall for a
test run.

I use a config driver script here so that every version gets made with
the same set of options:
--------------
#!/bin/sh
# since I'm always forgetting to su amanda...
if [ `whoami` != 'amanda' ]; then
        echo
        echo "!!!!!!!!!!!! Warning !!!!!!!!!!!!"
        echo "Amanda needs to be configured and built by the user amanda,"
        echo "but must be installed by user root."
 echo
 exit 1
fi
make clean
rm -f config.status config.cache
./configure --with-user=amanda \
 --with-group=disk \
 --with-owner=amanda \
 --with-gnu-ld \
 --prefix=/usr/local \
 --with-tapedev="FILE:/amandatapes" \
 --with-debugging=/tmp/amanda-dbg/ \
 --with-tape-server=coyote.coyote.den \
 --with-amandahosts \
 --with-configdir=/usr/local/etc/amanda \
 --with-gnutar=/usr/local/bin/tar

make
change that last line as required, then run it, and when its done,
become root and do a:

make install
ldconfig

then become amanda again and try an amcheck /configname/ just for
grins.  Since that doesn't involve a call to whatever tar you're
testing, that will have to wait till a run of amdump has been done.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: