Amanda-Users

Re: driver: result time 0.022 from taper: TAPE-ERROR [not an amanda tape]

2004-04-30 14:51:32
Subject: Re: driver: result time 0.022 from taper: TAPE-ERROR [not an amanda tape]
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org, freelsjd AT ornl DOT gov
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 14:47:20 -0400
On Friday 30 April 2004 10:57, James D. Freels wrote:
>OK.  Stranger by the minute.  I removed the first tape (01) and set
> it up to use the second tape(02).  I issued a "amcheck fea" and it
> said my second tape was OK and that I should be able to backup.  I
> then issued an amflush and it came back with an error.  I then
> rewind the tape with "mt rewind", turn around and issue another
> amcheck fea, and the tape has an error on it.  So, the amflush
> and/or amdump process is writing something to the tape that causes
> it to not be usable after that point.
>
>Is this sounding like a scsi error or some type ?

Possibly.  Sometimes people forget that a scsi bus is a transmission
line, and as such is subject to echo's and other symptoms of vswr if
not properly terminated ON BOTH ENDS of the cable and ONLY AT THE
ENDS.  Even 6" of cable hanging free and unused at the end of the
cable and all bets are off.  You can sacrifice all the virgin
chickens in the hen house without fixing it in that case.

Term power should be jumpered such that the card is supplying it, even
in the tape drive if that can be arraigned.  Most cards furnish this
thru an isolation diode, but if the diode isn't a schotkey, but is a
silicon diode, the .70 volt drop is too much.  If the drive is
mounted internally to the server, then this diode on the controller
card should be removed and a jumper installed in its place, but don't
do this if the power supply isn't common, as would be the case for an
externally mounted drive/changer/robot.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: