Amanda-Users

Re: driver: result time 0.022 from taper: TAPE-ERROR [not an amanda tape]

2004-04-30 14:29:56
Subject: Re: driver: result time 0.022 from taper: TAPE-ERROR [not an amanda tape]
From: "James D. Freels" <freelsjd AT ornl DOT gov>
To: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 14:25:07 -0400
OK.  I changed the blocksize to fixed at 32768 and sure enough, I was
able to flush.  I will now go back and make things more generic as you
suggest to a blocksize of 0 for variable.

I also looked at all the info you referenced on this problem before and
using the stinit.def file to define the tape parameters on bootup.  This
would also be good.

Now the question:  I will have to go back and relabel all those tapes,
no ?

And to Jon, yes I was using /dev/nst0 for Amanda, and /dev/st0 for the
mt test.  Incidently, there is a read/write tester (binary executable)
delivered with this tape drive (Seagate Scorpion 40) specifically
written for Linux.  It worked pretty well to establish that the tape
drive was working as expected.  This is why I suspected an AMANDA setup
problem.

Amazing...all these years of using AMANDA I never ran up on this problem
before.

--
James D. Freels, Ph.D.
Oak Ridge National Laboratory