Amanda-Users

driver: result time 0.022 from taper: TAPE-ERROR [not an amanda tape]

2004-04-30 10:11:48
Subject: driver: result time 0.022 from taper: TAPE-ERROR [not an amanda tape]
From: "James D. Freels" <freelsjd AT ornl DOT gov>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 10:07:07 -0400
Hello Amanda-Users !

I have duplicated my previous amanda backup setup from an existing
machine to a new machine.  The new machine has a different tape drive
which I changed the tapetype entry in amanda.conf to:

define tapetype TDK-DC4-150 {
    comment "Seagate Scorpion 40 drive with DSS-4 tape and compression"
    length  30000 mbytes
    filemark    1 kbytes
    speed    4800 kps
}

All other entries are the same.

I have also labeled new tapes for this tape drive.

The amcheck says the tape label is good and is the next tape to be used
in the backup.  The amcheckdb and amadmin configid tape commands all
indicate everything is working OK.

An amdump works by sending all backup files to the holding disk.

However, I receive the error message shown in the subject line and
repeated here for both the amdump and amflush commands.

from the amflush log files:

driver: result time 0.022 from taper: TAPE-ERROR [not an amanda tape]

from the amdump log files:

driver: result time 326.960 from taper: TAPE-ERROR [writing label:
Input/output error]

from the log. files of the amdump run:

ERROR taper no-tape [writing label: Input/output error]

from the log. files of the amflush run:

ERROR taper no-tape [not an amanda tape]

The amtapetype ran OK.

The tar command runs OK completely independent of amanda to backup files
to tape that way so I know the tape drive works OK.  This machine is a
dual-Xeon running Linux 2.4.26 on the Debian/Woody/Stable distribution
with plenty of memory, etc.

--
James D. Freels, Ph.D.
Oak Ridge National Laboratory