Amanda-Users

Tape Library support ???

2003-12-26 06:24:25
Subject: Tape Library support ???
From: "Pierre-Henry DELIEGE" <PHDeliege AT mt-consulting DOT com>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 12:10:51 +0100
Hello and Merry Xmas to all of you,

I'm planning to develop an interface to control a "real" Tape Library like
an ADIC Scalar 100 (72 slots, 2 drives, a barcode reader, an Entry/Exit
door...) I already developed the Tape Library Device Driver that control
most of the functionality of the Tape Library (mount, eject, scan...)

My questions are about Amanda and the tpchanger functionality's:
After reading the different examples of tpchanger (chg-juke, chg-multi,
chg-scsi...), it looks like they were developed for "Stacker Drives"; for
example, you cannot specify on which drive you would like to mount a
cartridge (the only selection that I saw was to configure a range of slot
with a drive).
Also, the access of tapes is done via the slot position (slot "current",
"next", "prev", "first", "last"). The only solution that I see to use a
"normal" tape library usage (with barcode) is to create a table to make a
link between a "hypothetical" slot number and a barcode. Am I right ?

Any suggestions, documents, examples to clarify my mind on this subject
would be really appreciate.

Thank you in advance.

Pierre-Henry