Amanda-Users

Re: WARNING: database01: selfcheck request timed out. Host down?

2003-12-21 13:08:14
Subject: Re: WARNING: database01: selfcheck request timed out. Host down?
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Dean Pullen <dean.pullen AT virtuefusion DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 12:02:41 -0600
--On Sunday, December 21, 2003 17:43:21 +0000 Dean Pullen <dean.pullen AT
virtuefusion DOT com> wrote:

> I did have the FQDN in the hosts file, then tried IP and just machine name on
> its own. Still no difference.
>
> Surely if amandad isn't running (which I think I've concluded from looking
> through the running processes and the fact that nothing appears in
> /tmp/amanda after startup), then I need to sort that out first?
>
> Dean.

Check your system logs to see if there are any errors from (x)inetd.  Also,
you might want to run something like tcpdump on the client and see if the
server is trying to connect to it.  If you see the server trying to connect
but you still see nothing on the client (nothing in /tmp/amanda), then you
may either have a problem with (x)inetd, hosts.allow/hosts.deny, or some
firewall rules.
  You might also want to make sure the Amanda user has permissions to write
in /tmp/amanda.  You may have created the directory as root and it might not
have the correct permissions.

Frank