Amanda-Users

Re: WARNING: database01: selfcheck request timed out. Host down?

2003-12-21 13:57:55
Subject: Re: WARNING: database01: selfcheck request timed out. Host down?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: "Dean Pullen" <dean.pullen AT virtuefusion DOT com>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 13:55:39 -0500
On Sunday 21 December 2003 13:26, Dean Pullen wrote:
>--- In amanda-users AT yahoogroups DOT com, Frank Smith <fsmith@h...> wrote:
>> --On Sunday, December 21, 2003 17:43:21 +0000 Dean Pullen
<dean.pullen@v...> wrote:
>> > I did have the FQDN in the hosts file, then tried IP and just
>> > machine name on its own. Still no difference.
>> >
>> > Surely if amandad isn't running (which I think I've concluded
>> > from looking through the running processes and the fact that
>> > nothing appears in /tmp/amanda after startup), then I need to
>> > sort that out first?
>> >
>> > Dean.
>>
>> Check your system logs to see if there are any errors from
>> (x)inetd.  Also, you might want to run something like tcpdump on
>> the client and see if the server is trying to connect to it.  If
>> you see the server trying to connect but you still see nothing on
>> the client (nothing in /tmp/amanda), then you may either have a
>> problem with (x)inetd, hosts.allow/hosts.deny, or some firewall
>> rules.
>>   You might also want to make sure the Amanda user has permissions
>> to write in /tmp/amanda.  You may have created the directory as
>> root and it might not have the correct permissions.
>>
>> Frank
>
>I know from looking yesterday repeatedly that there are no errors in
> my system log (albeit I'll double check tomorrow!). I can ssh to
> the client machine via the server machine so I presume there are no
> problems in hosts.allow/hosts.deny...but again I will double check.
>
>I'll check via tcpdump tomorrow. There should be no firewall
> problems. Shorewall was complaining to begin with, but I fixed it,
> and no packets are now being dropped between the two machines.
>
>Amanda does have permissions to write in /tmp/amanda. If I try to
> run amandad manually, it will write a debug file in the directory.
> I did create it as root but chown'd to amanda.
>
>Thanks Frank.
>
>Dean.

Hummm, there may be some other gotchas at work here Dean.  If building
amanda from the tarball (and we recommend that highly here), the
normal procedure is to stash the tarball in /home/amanda, then chwon
the tarball to amanda:disk (or whatever you are using there), then su
to amanda, unpack it as the user amanda, copy the std config script
you use into the freshly unpacked directory, and then execute the
config script, which in my case ends with a make command.  Once thats
done, exit the su, cd back to that dir, and do a "make install" as
root.  That way, all the perms are automaticly correct for all of it.

I haven't posted my config script for a few weeks, so if the list will
bear with me, here it is again:

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: