Amanda-Users

Re: WARNING: database01: selfcheck request timed out. Host down?

2003-12-22 02:20:04
Subject: Re: WARNING: database01: selfcheck request timed out. Host down?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 02:15:08 -0500
On Sun, Dec 21, 2003 at 12:47:24PM -0000, Dean Pullen wrote:
> Thanks for your interest and replys guys, I think we're getting closer to a
> solution [I hope].
>
> I'm using SuSE 8.2 (but using the amanda rpm from SuSE 9.0) - which I believe
> uses xinetd.
> Not that I know the difference. I'm afraid I'm a bit of a newbie in all
> areas, so please bare with me.
>
> Presumably this is a problem seeing as I have edited the inetd.conf instead
> of a xinetd.conf? Why would there be a inetd.conf if SuSE is using xinetd?

Forgive me for jumping in late and to a discussion I know little about.
But these lines give me pause.

Your {x}inet daemon does not seem to be starting amandad (no /tmp/amanda/debug
file).

You are using (I presume this is both server and client) SuSE 8.2.
You mention your amanda is from an SuSE 9 system and that SuSE 9 uses xinetd.
>From that I take it SuSE 8.X may not.

I don't see why it matters a bit which, inet daemon SuSE 9 uses.
Which inet daemon are your systems set up to run at boot time.
That is the type of config files you should be editing.

Do you know your editing has had 'any' effect?  ISTR that a command
like netstat (may be some other one) can be used to list the ports
that are being listened to by the internet daemon.  Maybe someone
could correct or complete that thought.

jl
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)