Amanda-Users

Re: WARNING: database01: selfcheck request timed out. Host down?

2003-12-21 14:02:44
Subject: Re: WARNING: database01: selfcheck request timed out. Host down?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: "Dean Pullen" <dean.pullen AT virtuefusion DOT com>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 14:00:48 -0500
On Sunday 21 December 2003 13:26, Dean Pullen wrote:
>--- In amanda-users AT yahoogroups DOT com, Frank Smith <fsmith@h...> wrote:
>> --On Sunday, December 21, 2003 17:43:21 +0000 Dean Pullen
<dean.pullen@v...> wrote:
>> > I did have the FQDN in the hosts file, then tried IP and just
>> > machine name on its own. Still no difference.
>> >
>> > Surely if amandad isn't running (which I think I've concluded
>> > from looking through the running processes and the fact that
>> > nothing appears in /tmp/amanda after startup), then I need to
>> > sort that out first?
>> >
>> > Dean.
>>
>> Check your system logs to see if there are any errors from
>> (x)inetd.  Also, you might want to run something like tcpdump on
>> the client and see if the server is trying to connect to it.  If
>> you see the server trying to connect but you still see nothing on
>> the client (nothing in /tmp/amanda), then you may either have a
>> problem with (x)inetd, hosts.allow/hosts.deny, or some firewall
>> rules.
>>   You might also want to make sure the Amanda user has permissions
>> to write in /tmp/amanda.  You may have created the directory as
>> root and it might not have the correct permissions.
>>
>> Frank
>
>I know from looking yesterday repeatedly that there are no errors in
> my system log (albeit I'll double check tomorrow!). I can ssh to
> the client machine via the server machine so I presume there are no
> problems in hosts.allow/hosts.deny...but again I will double check.
>
>I'll check via tcpdump tomorrow. There should be no firewall
> problems. Shorewall was complaining to begin with, but I fixed it,
> and no packets are now being dropped between the two machines.
>
>Amanda does have permissions to write in /tmp/amanda. If I try to
> run amandad manually, it will write a debug file in the directory.
> I did create it as root but chown'd to amanda.
>
>Thanks Frank.
>
>Dean.

And I still hit the wrong button, darn, thats twice this morning.
Gotta get kmail to move the send button I guess.  Anyway, heres the
script:
----------------------------------
#!/bin/sh
# since I'm always forgetting to su amanda...
if [ `whoami` != 'amanda' ]; then
        echo
        echo "!!!!!!!!!!!! Warning !!!!!!!!!!!!"
        echo "Amanda needs to be configured and built by the user amanda,"
        echo "but must be installed by user root."
        echo
        exit 1
fi
make clean
rm -f config.status config.cache
./configure --with-user=amanda \
        --with-group=disk \
        --with-owner=amanda \
        --with-tape-device=/dev/nst0 \
        --with-changer-device=/dev/sg1 \
        --with-gnu-ld --prefix=/usr/local \
        --with-debugging=/tmp/amanda-dbg/ \
        --with-tape-server=coyote.coyote.den \
        --with-amandahosts \
        --with-configdir=/usr/local/etc/amanda

make
Theres not really any magic there, other than the fixed, I don't have
to remember it all the time, option list for ./configure, and the
automatic exit after slapping my hands if I forget and run it as
root. :)

I've got a changer, but that can be removed for the one drive users.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: