Amanda-Users

Re: WARNING: database01: selfcheck request timed out. Host down?

2003-12-21 12:01:59
Subject: Re: WARNING: database01: selfcheck request timed out. Host down?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: "Dean Pullen" <dean.pullen AT virtuefusion DOT com>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 11:56:55 -0500
On Sunday 21 December 2003 07:47, Dean Pullen wrote:
>Thanks for your interest and replys guys, I think we're getting
> closer to a solution [I hope].
>
>I'm using SuSE 8.2 (but using the amanda rpm from SuSE 9.0) - which
> I believe uses xinetd. Not that I know the difference. I'm afraid
> I'm a bit of a newbie in all areas, so please bare with me.
>
>Presumably this is a problem seeing as I have edited the inetd.conf
> instead of a xinetd.conf? Why would there be a inetd.conf if SuSE
> is using xinetd?
>
>And Gene, I have set all amanda files to disable=no within
> /etc/xinet.d/ as you suggested in a previous post.
>
>Thanks,
>Dean.

That, I think, leads back to whats in /home/amanda/.amandahosts

example from my machine:

coyote.coyote.den       amanda
localhost.localdomain   amanda
coyote.coyote.den       root

I've been told that the last line is for amrecover or amrestore, which
must be run as root.  It is not needed for amdump I don't believe.
Note the use of fully qualified domain names, aka FQDN's above, and
the localhost is not among them.  Tnhe use of localhost will eat your
lunch come recover time, as that is not a unique name.

These names will resolve thru the /etc/hosts file which does the
translation to an ip address as follows using mine as an example:

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: