Amanda-Users

Re: WARNING: database01: selfcheck request timed out. Host down?

2003-12-21 13:20:23
Subject: Re: WARNING: database01: selfcheck request timed out. Host down?
From: "Dean Pullen" <dean.pullen AT virtuefusion DOT com>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 18:26:51 -0000
--- In amanda-users AT yahoogroups DOT com, Frank Smith <fsmith@h...> wrote:
> --On Sunday, December 21, 2003 17:43:21 +0000 Dean Pullen <dean.pullen@v...>
> wrote:
>
> > I did have the FQDN in the hosts file, then tried IP and just machine name
> > on its own. Still no difference.
> >
> > Surely if amandad isn't running (which I think I've concluded from looking
> > through the running processes and the fact that nothing appears in
> > /tmp/amanda after startup), then I need to sort that out first?
> >
> > Dean.
>
> Check your system logs to see if there are any errors from (x)inetd.  Also,
> you might want to run something like tcpdump on the client and see if the
> server is trying to connect to it.  If you see the server trying to connect
> but you still see nothing on the client (nothing in /tmp/amanda), then you
> may either have a problem with (x)inetd, hosts.allow/hosts.deny, or some
> firewall rules.
>   You might also want to make sure the Amanda user has permissions to write
> in /tmp/amanda.  You may have created the directory as root and it might not
> have the correct permissions.
>
> Frank

I know from looking yesterday repeatedly that there are no errors in my system
log (albeit I'll double check tomorrow!). I can ssh to the client machine via
the server machine so I presume there are no problems in
hosts.allow/hosts.deny...but again I will double check.

I'll check via tcpdump tomorrow. There should be no firewall problems.
Shorewall was complaining to begin with, but I fixed it, and no packets are now
being dropped between the two machines.

Amanda does have permissions to write in /tmp/amanda. If I try to run amandad
manually, it will write a debug file in the directory. I did create it as root
but chown'd to amanda.

Thanks Frank.

Dean.