Amanda-Users

Re: How to label tapes with amanda!

2003-05-27 14:42:28
Subject: Re: How to label tapes with amanda!
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Mats Blomstrand <mats.blomstrand AT htu DOT se>, "Benoit Martin \"Sky Services\"" <bmartin AT skyservices DOT net>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 10:27:43 -0400
On Tuesday 27 May 2003 08:12, Mats Blomstrand wrote:
>Hi Benoit
>
>There are so many details that it would be very difficult to help
> you with your question. It involves many things.  I recommend
> that you get the source and play with it on the machine that has
> the tape device connected.
>
>Print and read all the documentation.
>Do a "configure; make; make install" to a test dir somewhere.
>
>Once you understand how to connect all the details on your first
> machine it will be easy to switch to production use of amanda. An
> experienced user can set it up in just a few minutes ( say less
> than 20). The problem is to get the first machine up.
>
>If i have managed to do it, you can! (and im a
> first-time-amanda-user) Good luck.

So was I back then.  Your 20 minute estimate is way too low for a
first time install, but I've been known to unpack, configure, make
su - and make install the latest snapshot in the 5 minutes I had
left before she was due to make her nightly run, but this machine
is reasonably fast too, its an AMD 1600-DX with half a gig of ram.

>//Mats

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: