Amanda-Users

Re: How to label tapes with amanda!

2003-05-27 09:47:52
Subject: Re: How to label tapes with amanda!
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: AMANDA Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 09:40:01 -0400
On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 01:42:58PM +0200, Benoit Martin Sky Services wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> First of all, I'm not a unix master at all, I'm trying to install and

who is?

> configure amanda on my system, which is a system including 3 servers, with
> only one having a tape device.

First, terminology.  The three hosts may be servers of "something",
but to amanda, one of them is the backup server (probably the one with
the tape drive :) and the others clients.  The backup server may also
be a client if it is backing up itself as well.

I'm guessing you have installed an rpm on a linux machine.
Install the source rpm as well and find a document amazingly named INSTALL.
It has a lot of the step by step procedures.

> I don't understand how to label my tapes?

a program named amlabel.  It simply marks the tapes with an identifier
(a 32Kb header file) so you and amanda can identify the tape via software,
not a physical label.  But it would be good if you put matching physical
labels on the tapes too.

Not required, but most people name (label) their tapes with the configuration
name (DailySet by default?) followed by a dash and a number, as in DailySet-04.
You will need several tapes, the number will be a local decision.

> I don't understand either how to start amandad on the clients.

You don't, inet (xinet) does.  The INSTALL docuement describes how to set up
the inet config files.  If running xinet, speak up and maybe some other good
soul will tell you that config.

=== Any good souls volunteer to edit the INSTALL document and add this info? ===

> When I do #amcheck DailySet1 on my server, I got this:

Given your current state of setup, all is as expected.
Don't worry about the 'NOTES', they will go away after the first successful run.
The tape drive should not be "st0" but instead "nst0" (the no rewind device).
When you get inet configured, the client checks will probably clear up.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)