Amanda-Users

Re: How to label tapes with amanda!

2003-05-27 09:47:05
Subject: Re: How to label tapes with amanda!
From: Reidar Nordin <reidar AT tedk DOT com>
To: "\"Benoit Martin \\\"Sky Services\\\"\"" <bmartin AT skyservices DOT net>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 15:46:07 +0200
Hi!
It seems that you first of all should read the Amanda documentation.
I can give you a few hints to your questions, but it can vary depending on
what dist. and ver. you are running. I really hope this helps you on the
way....

> I don't understand how to label my tapes?

Run:  /usr/local/sbin/amlabel -f DailySet1 backup01
Where backup01 is the label you want on the tape must be the same as
configured in amanda.conf, labelstr "^backup[0-9][0-9]*$"  # label constraint
regex: all tapes must match

> I don't understand either how to start amandad on the clients.

You dont need to start amanda as a process on the clients, you just have to
think about setting up the user that amanda runs under, the .amandahosts-file
(/home/backup/.amandahosts)  that contains the name of the amandaserver
followed by the username, "/etc/xinetd.d/amanda" and "/etc/xinetd.d/amandaidx"

Create the file /etc/xinetd.d/amanda with the following content:
# default: off
#               This must be on for systems being backed up\
#               by Amanda.
service amanda
{
        disable = no
        socket_type             = dgram
        protocol                = udp
        wait                    = yes
        user                    = backup
        group                   = backup
        server                  = /usr/local/libexec/amandad
}

Create the file /etc/xinetd.d/amandaidx with the following content:
# default: off
#
service amandaidx
{
        disable = no
        socket_type             = stream
        protocol                = tcp
        wait                    = no
        user                    = backup
        group                   = backup
        server                  = /usr/local/libexec/amindexd
}

Restart xinetd

> When I do #amcheck  on my server, I got this:
>
> bash-2.05$ /usr/sbin/amcheck DailySet1/
> Amanda Tape Server Host Check
> -----------------------------
> Holding disk /var/tmp: 342562 KB disk space available, that's plenty
> ERROR: /dev/st0: not an amanda tape
>        (expecting a new tape)
> NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
> NOTE: info dir /var/lib/amanda/DailySet1/curinfo: does not exist
> NOTE: it will be created on the next run
> NOTE: index dir /var/lib/amanda/DailySet1/index/cfeweb3/_home: does not
> exist
> NOTE: index dir /var/lib/amanda/DailySet1/index/localhost/_etc: does not
> exist
> Server check took 9.930 seconds
>
> Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
> --------------------------------
> WARNING: cfeweb3: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?
> WARNING: localhost: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?
> Client check: 2 hosts checked in 29.997 seconds, 2 problems found

Create the dir /var/lib/amanda/DailySet1/curinfo
Create the dir /var/lib/amanda/DailySet1/index/cfeweb3/_home
Create the dir /var/lib/amanda/DailySet1/index/localhost/_etc

Try amcheck again, if you still get "directory does not exist", just create
the drectory and set the access permissions, if you get the diskoffline-error
it is probably a permission issue.

Another good way to solve problems is to use http://www.google.com/
search using:  setting up amanda om clients would give you a few good
results....

\\Reidar