Amanda-Users

Re: Using Amanda without a tape changer

2003-05-22 16:02:35
Subject: Re: Using Amanda without a tape changer
From: Per von Zweigbergk <pvz AT linux DOT se>
To: "Rebecca Pakish Crum" <rebecca AT unterlaw DOT com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 21:55:49 +0200
torsdagen den 22 maj 2003 kl 21.42 skrev Rebecca Pakish Crum:

So, what happens if:

1) Someone forgot to change tape one day, or even for a week,
but then
continues to swap tapes as if nothing happened, not running amflush?

It depends on how big your holding disk is. In my case, with the size of
my holding disk, the first no tape day would collect the first level 0
dump and save it to the holding disk with that day's datestamp. The next
day, if there's still not a tape it would bump everything to a level 1
and keep that on the holding disk, too..., and then the next day a level
2 and so on until it ran out of room in the holding disk for any level
and then it would fail the backup.

Then when you came in and ran "amflush config" you would see a menu of
all of the dates left on your holding disk and you could pick and choose
which, if any, you wanted to flush.

Yes, but what would happen if I never ran amflush? (Just for the sake of argument? :)

2) If there is a week long holiday, does the operator have to flush
onto 5 more tapes?

No, you can choose to flush them all to one tape if it will fit. But
since you are a school, and no data would be changing during that
vacation time (*unless you have teachers who are gluttons for
punishment, I guess*), wouldn't you just turn off that cron job for that
week??

Yeah. But I'm trying to develop a "least path of resistance" method of administration. :) I.e. if I don't HAVE to remove it from the cron job, I see no reason why.

--
Per von Zweigbergk <pvz AT e.kth DOT se>