Amanda-Users

RE: Using Amanda without a tape changer

2003-05-22 16:40:45
Subject: RE: Using Amanda without a tape changer
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Rebecca Pakish Crum <rebecca AT unterlaw DOT com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 15:38:19 -0500
--On Thursday, May 22, 2003 15:13:59 -0500 Rebecca Pakish Crum <rebecca AT
unterlaw DOT com> wrote:

Yes, but what would happen if I never ran amflush? (Just for the sake
of argument? :)

Actually, what am I thinking...that would break amanda!!! It has to have
the holding disk to hold the dumps before taper takes over and puts them
to tape. You would have to give amanda *some* space to work with, either
by flushing those dumps or deleting them.

Amanda will run without a holding disk, it will write each dump directly to
tape.  Obviously this will make it very slow as the dumps have to be done
serially, and the drive will continually have to stop and reposition itself
when the network stream can't keep up with the drive write speed.
  Not recommended at all, but technically it still 'works'.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                             fsmith AT hoovers DOT
com