Amanda-Users

RE: Using Amanda without a tape changer

2003-05-22 15:25:39
Subject: RE: Using Amanda without a tape changer
From: "Rebecca Pakish Crum" <rebecca AT unterlaw DOT com>
To: "Per von Zweigbergk" <pvz AT linux DOT se>, "Stephen D. Lane" <drsteve AT nature.Berkeley DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 14:22:09 -0500
> > I do this every weekday (without the take-home part :)  The
> job runs
> > every weekday morning at 02:03am.  When I come in in the morning
> > (which varies from 6am to 11am :), the job is done, and the first
> > thing I do is swap the tape (I find that if I don't do it
> > _first_thing_ it doesn't always get done...)
>
> What happens if you don't? Will it e-mail you pestering you to change
> the tape, forcing you to do two tape runs on one day?
>
> Or will it simply drop that run, noting the problem... i.e. just fail
> gracefully, and try again the next day, effectively delaying
> the backup?
>
> The reason I ask is, what happens in a school holiday, when nobody is
> on site working the backup units? Of course, the "proper" solution is
> to disable the cron job during school holidays, but what is someone
> forgets?

I run into this myself on holidays. Originally I would reconfigure my
cron to just skip that day's backup, because no one would be here, the
data wouldn't have changed from my last good level 0. (We run level 0
every night). But then I realized I had this big huge holding disk
(duh). So I just let it run. The report whines that it couldn't find a
tape, so it left everything in the holding disk. The day after the
holiday I manually run the amflush to flush it to the tape it was
*expecting* the day before and then change the tape for the next night's
cron backup. There is no 'delay' in backup. It's one of my favorite
features in amanda, the holding disk.