Amanda-Users

Re: Using Amanda without a tape changer

2003-05-22 16:47:20
Subject: Re: Using Amanda without a tape changer
From: "Stephen D. Lane" <drsteve AT nature.Berkeley DOT EDU>
To: amanda-users list <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 13:46:10 -0700
On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 03:06:36PM -0500, Rebecca Pakish Crum wrote:
> > Yes, but what would happen if I never ran amflush? (Just for the sake
> > of argument? :)
>
> Then your holding disk would stay full forever, and you would lose that
> functionality of amanda. You wouldn't have to run amflush. If you really
> didn't want those backups, you could always just rm -rf *.* in that
> directory. Then you would recover the space and regain the holding disk.

> > to flush
> > >
> > > No, you can choose to flush them all to one tape if it will
> > fit. But
> > > since you are a school, and no data would be changing during that
> > > vacation time (*unless you have teachers who are gluttons for
> > > punishment, I guess*), wouldn't you just turn off that cron job for
> > > that week??
> >
> > Yeah. But I'm trying to develop a "least path of resistance"
> > method of
> > administration. :) I.e. if I don't HAVE to remove it from the
> > cron job,
> > I see no reason why.
>
> Exactly...I am a big fan of this as well. I will admit that I am guilty
> of letting a level1 dump sit on my holding disk for 2 weeks without
> flushing it and then just deleting it. That tape would have been
> overwritten at that time anyway! Don't look at me like that ~ I'm sure
> I'm not the only one who's ever done it...I'm not proud of it *sniff*...
>
> ;)

I've done it, and I _am_ proud of it /:))

Data, like everything else, has a lifetime.  It is born, ages, and dies.
Once it's dead, it should be buried/cremated/whatever, so that the
underlying medium can be returned to the medium pool for reuse.

Thanks for playing "Modern Backup & Restore Philosopy and Diversionary
Tactics".

--Steve Lane               /"\
  Doudna Lab               \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
  U. C. Berkeley            X     Against HTML Email
                           / \