Amanda-Users

Re: Using Amanda without a tape changer

2003-05-22 21:26:11
Subject: Re: Using Amanda without a tape changer
From: Per von Zweigbergk <pvz AT linux DOT se>
To: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 03:21:51 +0200
torsdagen den 22 maj 2003 kl 23.58 skrev Jon LaBadie:

On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 07:23:59PM +0200, Per von Zweigbergk wrote:
Hello. I'm setting up a backup solution for a relatively small
secondary(?) school. We cannot afford to use any equipment like a tape
changer, but we've decided on a solution like this:

We've purchased a HP DAT72 drive (supports DDS3, DDS4 and DAT72 tapes),
as a reasonably extensible and inexpensive solution.

The new DAT72 drives!!!  You are the first I've heard of about to use
the new DAT-5 (DDS5) format.  That is 'bleeding edge' :)

Be sure to tell us how well it works.

We were originally considering a Seagate Scorpion drive that does DDS-4. :)

However we got lucky. Our supplier had a frenzy selling off HP products at what in some cases was a 50% cut. One of the more extreme examples was a DLT tape changer (IIRC) that was going down from about 60 000 kr to 30 000 kr.

That meant that we could purchase one of those HP DAT72 drives (internal SCSI) for only 7 493.75 SEK (Swedish Kronor.) That's about US$ 890, or 820 €. This was considerably cheaper than the DDS-4 drive we were considering. :)

I have no idea as to why HP were dumping their prices so furiously though. The fact that it was relatively odd products, such as support agreements, and some other stuff, don't remember exactly... leads me to rule out obsolete product lines. It also made me rule out the case of stocks overflowing. (Support agreements don't exactly take up a lot of storage... :)

Perhaps it was a simple campaign to boost the confidence of HP products in the corporate environment. (After all, most products that were being discounted off were for the corporate market.) Also, the campaign only lasted for two days. Who knows what their motives were?

As soon as the system is deployed (in a few weeks, if all goes to plan) I'm probably going to e-mail you with all kinds of setup problems :-). And of course a blurb on how well the drive works -- not that I have any point of reference. I have very little experience with backups in general.

If nothing else, we'll at least have got a relatively cheap DDS-3/DDS-4 drive if it turns out that DDS-5 is too unreliable / overkill / expensive.

Also, I'd like to thank all members on the mailing list who participated in this thread (there were a lot of you!) for your very quick and helpful discussion! This is probably one of the most friendly, helpful and non-elitist user communities for any software, free or otherwise, I've seen in a long time.

--
Per von Zweigbergk <pvz AT e.kth DOT se>