Amanda-Users

Re: tapelist and tape order

2003-01-18 09:30:31
Subject: Re: tapelist and tape order
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: DK Smith <dks AT MediaWeb DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 08:53:09 -0500
On Friday 17 January 2003 21:13, DK Smith wrote:
>I finally determined why my tape order is not what I expected. (by
> looking at the tapelist file). I do not recall why my tape order
> managed to get into this state... When I originally set things
> up, *i thought* the tapes were in order...
>
>I was seeing...
>
>##
>
>Tues: DailySet1 AMANDA MAIL REPORT FOR January 14, 2003
>
>These dumps were to tape DailySet1-01.
>The next tape Amanda expects to use is: DailySet1-02.
>
>##
>
>Wed: DailySet1 AMANDA MAIL REPORT FOR January 15, 2003
>
>These dumps were to tape DailySet1-02.
>The next tape Amanda expects to use is: DailySet1-03.
>
>##
>
>Thur: DailySet1 AMANDA MAIL REPORT FOR January 16, 2003
>
>These dumps were to tape DailySet1-03.
>*** A TAPE ERROR OCCURRED: [[writing filemark: I/O error]].
>Some dumps may have been left in the holding disk.
>Run amflush to flush them to tape.
>The next tape Amanda expects to use is: DailySet1-05.
>
>##
>
>Fri: DailySet1 AMANDA MAIL REPORT FOR January 16, 2003
>
>These dumps were to tape DailySet1-05.
>The next tape Amanda expects to use is: DailySet1-06.
>
>##
>

>After (finally) taking a look at my tapelist in the configuration,
> I realized the reason for change in order of use that I observed:
>
>20030117 DailySet1-06 reuse
>20030116 DailySet1-05 reuse
>20030116 DailySet1-03 reuse
>20030116 DailySet1-02 reuse
>20030114 DailySet1-01 reuse
>20030113 DailySet1-15 reuse
>20030110 DailySet1-07 reuse
>20030109 DailySet1-04 reuse
>20030108 DailySet1-16 reuse
>20030107 DailySet1-14 reuse
>20030106 DailySet1-13 reuse
>20030103 DailySet1-12 reuse
>20030102 DailySet1-11 reuse
>20030101 DailySet1-10 reuse
>20021231 DailySet1-09 reuse
>20021230 DailySet1-08 reuse
>

>############################
>
>What (if anything) should I do to correct the order?
>
>Can anyone suggest an elegant way to correct the order by using
> interfaces supplied with AMANDA? (as opposed to starting over and
> re-labelling a whole new magazine of tapes, as one option)

Not that I've ran into.  I had one tape out of order for nearly a
year before I had to do a clean install for other reasons.  As long
as you know about it, I'd just put them into whatever storage you
use in the reverse of the order shown above.

I'm told that if you try to edit the above file to restore the
useage order, that the backups may be scheduled odd ball or
something because the dates on the index files won't then match the
order of the tapes.  That would eventually fix itself, but it might
take a tapecycles worth of runs to square it all away again.  Thats
what somebody here said, so I never tried it.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M