Amanda-Users

Re: make w/ amanda ignoring DESTDIR

2002-09-17 16:22:22
Subject: Re: make w/ amanda ignoring DESTDIR
From: Jean-Louis Martineau <martinea AT iro.umontreal DOT ca>
To: "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix AT structbio.vanderbilt DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 16:09:14 -0400
On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 02:14:43PM -0500, Brandon D. Valentine wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, Jean-Louis Martineau wrote:
>
> >It works on IRIX with GNU make
> >It doesn't works on IRIX with /sbin/make
> >
> >/sbin/make will works if you remove all the "DESTDIR =" line from the
> >Makefile.
>
> Thanks, Jean.  Your suggestion made me do some further digging.  IRIX's
> make is among a handful of variants which do not allow command-line
> variable definitions to override those that preexist in the Makefiles.
> It seems like the solution to this that the GNU people took was to
> remove all instances of "DESTDIR =" from their Makefile.in's.  Maybe
> I'll submit some patches to amanda-hackers to fix it.  It's a niggling
> little bug but if a one-line patch to each of the Makefile.in's will fix
> it then it's worth people not running into the problem in the future.

The patch is not useful, the Makefile.in are automaticaly generated
from the Makefile.am by automake.

I have build a new snapshot of amanda-2.4.3b4 with automake-1.5, this
fixe the problem with IRIX make.

The snapshot is at
http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~martinea/amanda/amanda-2.4.3b4-20020917-with-automake-1.5.tar.gz

I would appreciate if many people try it, if it break nothing, I will
use automake-1.5 to build the stable 2.4.3

Jean-Louis

--
Jean-Louis Martineau             email: martineau AT IRO.UMontreal DOT CA
Departement IRO, Universite de Montreal