Amanda-Users

make w/ amanda ignoring DESTDIR

2002-09-16 19:56:35
Subject: make w/ amanda ignoring DESTDIR
From: "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix AT structbio.vanderbilt DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 18:34:14 -0500
This is preplexing.  I'm attempting to build amanda inst packages for my
SGIs (which are currently running their clients via NFS).  I cannot get
the Amanda Makefiles to honor DESTDIR for the install target.

% printenv CC
cc
% printenv CFLAGS
-mips3 -n32
% ./configure --without-server --with-user=amanda --with-group=amanda
--with-tape-server=backup --with-tape-device=/dev/nst0
--with-index-server=backup --with-bsd-security --with-amandahosts
--with-gnutar=/usr/local/bin/amtar --enable-shared --sysconfdir=/etc
--localstatedir=/var/lib
--with-gnutar-listdir=/var/lib/amanda/gnutar-lists
[ configure output snipped]
% make
[ make completes successfully ]
% make DESTDIR=/jaws/bandix/inst/tmproot/amanda install
Making install in config
        cd .. \
          && CONFIG_FILES= CONFIG_HEADERS=config/config.h \
             /sbin/sh ./config.status
creating config/config.h
config/config.h is unchanged
Making install in common-src
        /sbin/sh ../config/mkinstalldirs /usr/local/lib
/sbin/sh ../libtool  --mode=install ../config/install-sh -c libamanda.la
/usr/local/lib/libamanda.la
../config/install-sh -c .libs/libamanda-2.4.2p2.so.
/usr/local/lib/libamanda-2.4.2p2.so.
Cannot create /usr/local/lib/#inst.2799697# - Permission denied
*** Error code 2 (bu21)
*** Error code 1 (bu21)
*** Error code 1 (bu21)

As you can see it's trying to install in /usr/local in spite of my
specifying DESTDIR (which the Makefiles appear to use as an install
prefix throughout).  I literally just built and installed GNUtar,
OpenSSH, OpenSSL and libz in temproots using the DESTDIR make variable
via GNU configure/autoconf/automake and the same environment.

Anyone ever seen this behavior and have speculation as to why Amanda's
Makefiles don't appear to honor the DESTDIR make variable?  I've noticed
this line in every Makefile generated by configure:
DESTDIR =

Any suggested workarounds?

Thanks,

--
Brandon D. Valentine <bandix AT structbio.vanderbilt DOT edu>
Computer Geek, Center for Structural Biology

"This isn't rocket science -- but it _is_ computer science."
        - Terry Lambert on current AT FreeBSD DOT org.