Amanda-Users

Re: make w/ amanda ignoring DESTDIR

2002-09-17 15:39:14
Subject: Re: make w/ amanda ignoring DESTDIR
From: "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix AT structbio.vanderbilt DOT edu>
To: Jean-Louis Martineau <martinea AT iro.umontreal DOT ca>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 14:14:43 -0500
On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, Jean-Louis Martineau wrote:

>It works on IRIX with GNU make
>It doesn't works on IRIX with /sbin/make
>
>/sbin/make will works if you remove all the "DESTDIR =" line from the Makefile.

Thanks, Jean.  Your suggestion made me do some further digging.  IRIX's
make is among a handful of variants which do not allow command-line
variable definitions to override those that preexist in the Makefiles.
It seems like the solution to this that the GNU people took was to
remove all instances of "DESTDIR =" from their Makefile.in's.  Maybe
I'll submit some patches to amanda-hackers to fix it.  It's a niggling
little bug but if a one-line patch to each of the Makefile.in's will fix
it then it's worth people not running into the problem in the future.
An explanation of the problem is here:

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/bug-automake/1999/msg00267.html

--
Brandon D. Valentine <bandix AT structbio.vanderbilt DOT edu>
Computer Geek, Center for Structural Biology

"This isn't rocket science -- but it _is_ computer science."
        - Terry Lambert on current AT FreeBSD DOT org.