Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Configuration reload for bacula-sd

2014-11-09 14:02:29
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Configuration reload for bacula-sd
From: Dmitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu>
To: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>, bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2014 12:56:25 -0600
On 11/9/2014 5:53 AM, Kern Sibbald wrote:

> Bacula can only mount one device in any given Device section at a time,
> but in an Autochanger (virtual or not) there are multiple Devices and
> each can have its own directory.  However, if you use different
> directories, you must use different Media Types otherwise, Bacula will
> not know the right directory to look in for "fixed" disks.

That's the part that doesn't make sense to me: why not? If I have 2
ait-3 tape drives, do I always have to put a tape in the drive that
originally wrote it? If yes, then fine, whatever (and I haven't used
bacula with tapes so I actually don't know), but if not, why do file
volumes have to be different?

Aside from that it looks to me that you can't use different media types
in the same pool, so yes, you can use more than one disk. But you have
to define a separate pool for each and spread your clients over the
pools and guesstimate your backup sizes/client correctly and generally
make the whole thing much more complicated than it needs to be.

Dima