Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Configuration reload for bacula-sd

2014-11-07 08:13:23
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Configuration reload for bacula-sd
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: Dmitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu>, bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2014 14:10:39 +0100
Hello,

I am not sure, but it sounds like you are proposing that Bacula use a
raw device for storing a Volume. This is possible. There might be a
trivial advantage in terms of performance, but there is no real
advantage or demand to do it.  It is, in general, far better to store
Volumes in a filesystem rather than on a raw disk for a number of
reasons.  It would even be preferable to dedicate a disk to Bacula and
have a filesystem on it such as XFS rather than use it as a raw device.

Maybe you can be more precise about what you want.

By the way, the Bacula code that writes disk and tape is virtually
identical.  Only the open and close and seek is different.  The seeking
on tape devices is far more complex than seeking on a disk, which is
byte oriented (at least at the application level), rather than
file/block oriented as a tape device is.

Best regards,
Kern