Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Configuration reload for bacula-sd

2014-11-07 10:51:57
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Configuration reload for bacula-sd
From: Dmitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu>
To: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>, bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2014 09:48:26 -0600
On 11/7/2014 7:10 AM, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am not sure, but it sounds like you are proposing that Bacula use a
> raw device for storing a Volume.  This is possible. There might be a
> trivial advantage in terms of performance, but there is no real
> advantage or demand to do it.

The advantage is you can pull the disk out and stick a new one in, just
like you do with the tape.

...  It is, in general, far better to store
> Volumes in a filesystem rather than on a raw disk for a number of
> reasons.  It would even be preferable to dedicate a disk to Bacula and
> have a filesystem on it such as XFS rather than use it as a raw device.

I agree, however, in the current implementation volumes are files that
must reside in a single filesystem (or you need a fake autochanger). If
volumes were directories (i.e. mountpoints), we could use multiple
removable disks, pull full disk out, stick new one in.

> Maybe you can be more precise about what you want.

Was that clear enough?

Dima