Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Configuration reload for bacula-sd

2014-11-14 17:37:49
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Configuration reload for bacula-sd
From: Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 16:34:08 -0600
On 11/14/2014 03:40 PM, Kern Sibbald wrote:

> You are getting confused.

Not really, no.

>  For Bacula, the /dev/mt0 is not at all equivalent to
> a directory.  It is much more like a file within a directory because it is
> opened directly then read and written like a file.  A directory is never
> opened
> by Bacula (except for more exotic reasons on Windows).

Or it's an Archive Device in a Device in a virtual autochager?

> that
> code is distinct from the code that "loads" (opens) a volume.  Not all the
> code
> for reading/writing tapes is identical to that for disks, but probably 90-95%
> is.  That said, there is no harm in you thinking that tapes and disks are
> treated very different in Bacula.

Because evidently they are: a tape Device is "like a file within a
directory" whereas a disk Archive Device is a directory that has volume
files within it. ("That is never opened except on exotic Windows.")

I'm not confused when I say bacula treats them very differently. The
difference may well be "just 5-10%" but they seem to be the 5-10% that
really matter when it comes to using hot-swappable hard drives. Which
about every motherboard made in this decade can support at least 4 of on
built-in sata ports and I forget what the limit on usb devices is. I'm
also not confused when I say that bacula's implementation of disk backup
is not usable with multiple removable disk drives.

--
Dimitri Maziuk
Programmer/sysadmin