Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Configuration reload for bacula-sd

2014-11-08 13:40:34
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Configuration reload for bacula-sd
From: Dmitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu>
To: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>, bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2014 12:35:08 -0600
On 11/8/2014 5:36 AM, Kern Sibbald wrote:

> I think so.  If I understand correctly, you want disk mount points or
> directories to be treated much like a tape drive, so that you can
> mount multiple "disks".
>
> I think this feature is already implemented, with one difference ...
> that when the device is mounted, it assumes that it has a
> filesystem  on it rather than treating it as a raw device.

Either way works, filesystem makes it easy to see what's on it, but you
have to mkfs on a new disk.

> Much like the Virtual Autochanger feature, I am not 100% sure where this
> is documented, so you may have to search for it. The main requirement
> for it to work is to configure the SD Device (even if it is a disk
> device) as removable.

"Devices that require a mount (USB)" in
http://www.bacula.org/7.0.x-manuals/en/main/Storage_Daemon_Configuratio.html#SECTION001730000000000000000

says, among other things, "write part command must be defined". "Write
part command" is somewhat documented in "Devices that require a mount
(DVD)" in docs for 5.0 and below, but not in 7.0. Its purpose is
unclear, my guess would be it's intended for "write to optical disk but
not close it", no idea how or why that would apply to a usb stick.

 From reading that section I can't figure out the config for 12-bay
hot-swap sata storage server where I can write to all disks and replace
them as they get full, just like they were tapes. (But see my reading
comprehension note below.)

> By the way, in case you have not noticed, there are three white
> papers posted on the bacula.org web site, two of them, if I am not
> mistaken, document Virtual Autochangers as implemented in the
> community version (slightly different from the Enterprise version).

I notice now, thanks.

CommunityDiskBackup.pdf has the same old problem in 2.1 Grouping Storage
Devices: as usual, it talks multiple devices and shows 2 Device
definitions with Archive Device = /disk in both. Personally I don't know
how to mount multiple physical devices in the same /disk at the same
time and keep them separate too.

Same goes for 2.2 Virtual Autochanger: it doesn't let you write to
multiple (disk) devices, it lets bacula treat a single Archive Device as
"multipe devices" -- presumably for concurrent access.

Same goes for section 3 (Multiple Devices) in CommunityDiskBackupDesign.pdf

At least that's what I read in there. Maybe I'm not reading it right:
the years have not been kind and my leet reading comprehension skillz
ain't what they used to be.

The rest of it is very useful but not germane to the topic of using
multiple hot-swappable disks for storage.

This is all great but so far the only known config I've actually seen
working is a vchanger. I'd consider buying it off and rolling it into
bacula proper so instead of much handwaving and allegations of "maybe
documented somewhere" features you'd have a definitive and working
answer for retentive assholes like me.

Dima