Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Configuration reload for bacula-sd

2014-11-14 16:44:20
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Configuration reload for bacula-sd
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu>, Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 22:40:43 +0100

On 11/12/2014 09:10 PM, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:
> On 11/12/2014 01:11 PM, Josh Fisher wrote:
>> On 11/8/2014 1:35 PM, Dmitri Maziuk wrote:
>
>> I think there is some confusion about this due to "multiple devices"
>> being an ambiguous term. There is a difference between "multiple devices
>> that are only attached one at a time" and "multiple devices that may be
>> attached all at the same time". For disk storage, including virtual disk
>> autochanger, the "device" is a directory, and in almost all cases it is
>> in fact the mount point of a filesystem partition. The virtual
>> autochanger described in 2.2 will work with any filesystem mounted at
>> /disk, so multiple disk drive partitions CAN be used, but ONLY one at a
>> time. This then works similarly to tape.
>
> If this were true you couldn't use more than one tape drive of the same
> kind, e.g. the jukeboxes with 2 and more drives would only use one.
> Perhaps that is the case and nobody knows about it because people who
> can shell out $15K+ on a tape library don't use bacula.
>
> ... When the disk drive partition
>> gets full, you must unmount the current disk partition and mount the
>> next one
>
> ... The not so obvious caveat is that in order to use
>> hot-swappable drives with a disk Device you MUST use Requires Mount,
>> particularly if you are using automatic volume labeling.
>
> Hmm. So I could in theory come up with Mount Command that mounts each
> disk in a list (and optionally checks for free space and mounts the next
> one if there isn't any) and it all will "Just Work(tm)". Maybe someday
> I'll have copious free time and a fresh supply of round tuits...

>> The other issue, using multiple simultaneously mounted filesystems, is
>> not so clear. Each Device resource associated with an autochanger can
>> specify a different Archive Device path. To do so, it is also necessary
>> to use a different Media Type for each filesystem. Bacula expects to be
>> able to load any volume of a particular Media Type into any Device
>> having that same Media Type. A volume file located in one Device's
>> Archive Device directory cannot be "loaded" into another Device with a
>> different Archive Device directory
>
> Again, if as Kern says it's all implemented the same way, then you also
> should not be able to load an LTO-6 tape in "just any" LTO-6 drive.
> You'd have to give them media types (e.g.) lto-6-mt0 and lto-6-mt1 and
> the tapes would only be loadable into /dev/mt0 and /dev/mt1 resp.

You are getting confused.  For Bacula, the /dev/mt0 is not at all equivalent to a directory.  It is much more like a file within a directory because it is opened directly then read and written like a file.  A directory is never opened by Bacula (except for more exotic reasons on Windows).

Loading tapes (mounting) is something that only occurs on tape drives, so that code is distinct from the code that "loads" (opens) a volume.  Not all the code for reading/writing tapes is identical to that for disks, but probably 90-95% is.  That said, there is no harm in you thinking that tapes and disks are treated very different in Bacula.

> If that isn't the case then there are significant differences in how
> tape and disk backups are coded in bacula. Then the "works similarly to
> tape" assumption is incorrect.
>
> [vchanger]
> ... It is open source (GPL v2) and
>> available on SourceForge, so no "buying it off" is needed.
>
> Figure of speech. Though I've no idea what legaleze comes with bacula
> enterprise and how it might play with your gpl'ed code. (Bareos folks
> might know more about that.)

A Bacula Enterprise user can use vchanger with Bacula Enterprise -- this is permitted by Josh's GPLv2 license.  In fact, any other proprietary backup program can legally use vchanger.  Perhaps the best way to see this is that Bacula uses mtx (a GPLv2 program) for tapes to do something similar to what vchanger does for disks.

Kern