Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Configuration reload for bacula-sd

2014-11-12 16:16:01
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Configuration reload for bacula-sd
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 16:12:50 -0500
On 11/12/2014 3:10 PM, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:
> On 11/12/2014 01:11 PM, Josh Fisher wrote:
>> On 11/8/2014 1:35 PM, Dmitri Maziuk wrote:
>> The other issue, using multiple simultaneously mounted filesystems, is
>> not so clear. Each Device resource associated with an autochanger can
>> specify a different Archive Device path. To do so, it is also necessary
>> to use a different Media Type for each filesystem. Bacula expects to be
>> able to load any volume of a particular Media Type into any Device
>> having that same Media Type. A volume file located in one Device's
>> Archive Device directory cannot be "loaded" into another Device with a
>> different Archive Device directory
> Again, if as Kern says it's all implemented the same way, then you also
> should not be able to load an LTO-6 tape in "just any" LTO-6 drive.
> You'd have to give them media types (e.g.) lto-6-mt0 and lto-6-mt1 and
> the tapes would only be loadable into /dev/mt0 and /dev/mt1 resp.
>
> If that isn't the case then there are significant differences in how
> tape and disk backups are coded in bacula. Then the "works similarly to
> tape" assumption is incorrect.

No. When all the drives can read/write the same media, then all of the
Device resources for those tape drives have the same Media Type and it
is the same as when all of the virtual autochanger's Devices have the
same Media Type (and so also the same path in the Archive Device).
Having virtual autochanger Devices with different Archive Device paths
(and so also different Media Types) is like having a jukebox with one
LTO-2 drive and one LTO-6 drive. You see? You would have to use
different Media Types to keep from loading LTO-6 tapes into the LTO-2
drive. It probably hasn't come up, since how many jukeboxes have
completely different types of tape drives in them? I don't know. But if
they do, then it seems to me that they too must be addressed, by the
Director, as two separate Storage resources.