Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Migration needs volstat!=append, but how to reach? [Was: Re: [7.0.5] Option to start spooling before volume mount?]

2014-11-08 13:12:17
Subject: [Bacula-users] Migration needs volstat!=append, but how to reach? [Was: Re: [7.0.5] Option to start spooling before volume mount?]
From: Harald Schmalzbauer <h.schmalzbauer AT omnilan DOT de>
To: John Lockard <jlockard AT umich DOT edu>
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2014 19:09:31 +0100
 Bezüglich John Lockard's Nachricht vom 26.10.2014 15:34 (localtime):
> I run into this issue with several of my servers and dealt with it by
> creating "migrate" jobs.

Came to the same conclusion. Spooling doesn't make sense in it's current
implementation for today's capacities.

But there's another behaviour I'm fighting with:

"Volume Use Duration", defined in the director's pool resource, only has
effect if I write (a second time) to the pool.

This pool is only used as buffer for a second backup, which afterwards
will be migrated to tape (and pruned immediatly, to get restore using
the first backup which is on another (disk) pool and has sensible
retention periods).

So I write to a auto-labeled volume of this pool every weekend, to
prepare tape-food (which could be much more easy if spooling would start
without requireing the destination volume beeing labeled+mounted!!!).
"migration" starts on Monday morning, not blocking other disk pools,
hence plenty of time getting the duplicate backup migrated.
But until the next time I write into that special buffer pool (which is
not used by any other job until next weekend) the migration won't happen
since the "volstat" stays "append".
I haven't found a way to get it into "used".
*How did you accomplish that?*
console command with full volume name is no option! And any form of
wildcard doesn't seem to work (e. g. telling alle volumes of a specific
pool should be updated to have volstat=used.

Thanks,

-Harry