Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Please use the "label" command to create a new Vol

2010-09-30 07:57:34
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Please use the "label" command to create a new Vol
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 07:54:39 -0400
On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 4:48 AM, dobbin <bacula-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
wrote:

>> Quote:
>> All the machine backups go into one pool. It is counterproductive to use
>> individual pools for machines as that means tapes aren't filled
>> regularly and you're having to either keep lots in the changer or have
>> to change tapes constantly.
>>

>> yes but, as I said in my first post, I'm not using tapes, all my backups are
>> done onto a sizeable disk array. Does that still mean multiple pools are a
>> problem?
>>

> Multiple pools were not the problem. I believe the limitation on how
> many volumes in each pool was. I believe that combined with changing
> configuration in bacula-dir.conf without applying the change in
> bconsole. Remember that making changes in the pool definition in
> bacula-dir.conf does not change already existing volumes.
>
> John [/quote]
>
> but I haven't changed the pool definition, the only things I ever change in
> the bacula-dir.conf are the schedule and the directories that are being
> backed up.
>
> Here's the pool definition we use for each server
>
> Pool {
>  Name = servername
>  Pool Type = Backup
>  Recycle = yes
>  AutoPrune = yes
>  Volume Retention = 65 days
>  Maximum Volumes = 65
>  UseVolumeOnce = yes
>  LabelFormat = "servername-day-"
> }
>
> That's never changed[/quote]

That will not work on the 66th day because no volume will be available
since the retention period for each tape starts after the first job is
finished and the volume gets marked used.  However I do not think that
is the problem.

look at list media pool=servername

and examine the last written time and volume status.

John