Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] "Hello" counts as a "Job" to bacula-fd?

2010-09-23 14:03:49
Subject: [Bacula-users] "Hello" counts as a "Job" to bacula-fd?
From: Sean Clark <smclark AT tamu DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 13:00:40 -0500
  I've been setting maximum jobs to 2 for most file daemons around here,
since we should never actually be running more than 1 job (but we have
room to run a second simultaneous job in case I ever think of a reason
that we need to).

Having mistakenly forgotten to set "Allow Duplicate Jobs=no", I now have
a user whose laptop is running two simultaneous "Full" 100GB+ backups.
I went to cancel the later-starting of the two and...I'm denied.  The
director appears to hang for several minutes before finally giving me a
"Like, Dude, Something Went Wrong!" message.  The error message suggests
the problem is that I've hit the "maximum concurrent jobs" limit on the
FD  (as I'm pretty confident that of the other two options, the
passwords match and the two simultaneously-running jobs suggest there's
nothing currently wrong with the networking...).

I find I can't even get client status.  "status client=(hostname)" for
that system gives me:

23-Sep 12:46 bacula-dir JobId 0: Fatal error: Error sending Hello to
File daemon at "(hostname):9102". ERR=Interrupted system call

Does every connection count as a "job"?  And do I have any recourse
other than either wondering if one of the jobs will actually finish
getting through the remaining 70+GB before the end of the day when the
user will no doubt unplug his laptop and go home with it (leaving us
still needing to get a full backup to run again most of the day
tomorrow), or halting the bacula director entirely to "crash" the job,
also probably leaving us unable to finish the full backup before
quittin' time today and therefore still needing to do a full backup
tomorrow again?