Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Can't find the tape changer

2010-01-19 16:06:19
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Can't find the tape changer
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 22:03:39 +0100
Hi,

19.01.2010 16:01, Dan Langille wrote:
> Robert Hartzell wrote:

>>> Also:
>>>
>>> Linux version 2.6.9-78.0.8.plus.c4smp (mockbuild AT builder10.centos DOT
>>> org)
>>> (gcc version 3.4.6 20060404 (Red Hat 3.4.6-10)) #1 SMP Thu Nov 27
>>> 19:19:34 EST 2008
>>>
>>> And there is no /dev/changer*

That would be an exercise in writing a proper udev rule. Example on
request.

> Bugger.  I get none of the above:
>
> # lsscsi -g
> -bash: lsscsi: command not found

Run 'yum install lsscsi' as root, in a shell.

> # ls -l /dev | grep sg
> crw-------  1 root root  36,  14 Jan 14 17:23 dnrtmsg
> crw-------  1 root root   1,  11 Jan 14 17:23 kmsg
> crw-rw----  1 root disk  21,   0 Jan 14 23:23 sg0
> crw-rw----  1 root disk  21,   1 Jan 14 23:23 sg1
> crw-rw----  1 root disk  21,   2 Jan 14 23:23 sg2
> crw-rw----  1 root disk  21,   3 Jan 14 23:23 sg3
> crw-rw----  1 root disk  21,   4 Jan 14 23:23 sg4
> crw-rw----  1 root disk  21,   5 Jan 14 23:23 sg5
> crw-rw----  1 root disk  21,   6 Jan 14 23:23 sg6
>
> Linux version 2.6.9-78.0.8.plus.c4smp (mockbuild AT builder10.centos DOT org)
> (gcc version 3.4.6 20060404 (Red Hat 3.4.6-10)) #1 SMP Thu Nov 27
> 19:19:34 EST 2008

Hmm... a bit outdated, that system :-) Can you suggest an upgrade to a
more recent version? The one you have is a CentOS 4.x, I believe the
most recent CentOS 4 has 2.6.9-89 or newer. You might also benefit
from some security related fixes.

> *sigh*
>
> I'd like to help these people out, but well, there *seems* to be a
> hardware issue.  Their admin, now departed, claims backups to tape were
> working.  Backups to disk are working, but not tape.  Nothing in
> bacula-sd.conf refers to any tape drive.  Nothing in the command history
> refers to the tape drive.

Can they show you *any* tape with data on it?

> They have 8x400GB volumes on disk and they're out of space.
>
> Mysteries.

Always challenging to discover them when you're already out of space :-)

Good luck!

Arno

--
Arno Lehmann