Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] LTO3 tape capacity lower than expected

2010-01-05 13:33:40
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] LTO3 tape capacity lower than expected
From: Tino Schwarze <bacula-users AT tisc DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 19:30:44 +0100
On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 12:48:53PM -0500, John Drescher wrote:

> > It looks like btape is not happy.
> >
> > Error reading block: ERR=block.c:1008 Read zero bytes at 326:0 on device
> > "Superloader-Drive" (/dev/nst0).
> >
> > Are your tapes old (still good)? Did you clean the drive? Latest Firmware?

The drive requested cleaning just yesterday which I did. I'm not sure
how old the tape in question really is. I used a dell update utility and
it updated the drive to v2181 which seems to be the latest for a
half-height SCSI tape drive. 30MB/s seems a bit low to me - it should be
able to do 60MB/s per spec. Or is that just theory vs. real world?

> I would add are you using LTO3 tapes or LTO2 tapes?

They are labelled 400GB/800GB - all of the same kind, so they're
definitely LTO3. The autoloader says: "Drive Idle Gen 3 Data" in it's web
interface, so yes, I'm sure.

I could check a very new tape tomorrow or try a shiny new one, just to
be sure.

Thanks so far,

Tino.

www.lichtkreis-chemnitz.de